Categories are a way to group items that a customer can purchase from your store.
Examples of Categories Include Starters, Main Course, Ice cream, and Pizza. A category should have similar items and its name should be descriptive so that customers easily know where to find which offers.
On This Page
Add a Category
The catalog is accessible by clicking on the Catalog entry on your store menu. To create a new category on the catalog, click on Add Category in the catalog overview screen.
Provide a name and a short description of the category you want to add on the category creation page, change the category settings as needed and save. The short description of a catalog appears on the top of store products on the customer menu and should therefore be short and easy to understand.
Below are the catalog details and settings explained.
- Default Catalog Language: By default, the category will inherit the language of your store, but if you need it in some other languages, please change the language by clicking on the provided link.
- Name: Provide a name for the category. It should be short and easy for your customers to understand. In a case where a category can be referred to with several names, you should choose the one that is widely known or one that customers in your locality would best understand.
- Short Description: Add a short description of this category. It will help your customers understand what type of products they will find under this category. Note that the short description will appear as the first item in your category and all products will then appear below it. Make it informative.
- Visible: Use the toggle button to mark this category as visible or not. Please understand that this will have a direct impact on your sales since hidden categories do not appear in the customer menu. If you are ready to sell items in this catalog, toggle to this button to Yes.
- Available: If your category is available at all times, leave it as Available all time (default setting). Otherwise, you can click on Add New Schedule or associate the category with existing store schedules. You can learn how to manage store schedules here.
To learn more about marking items as visible or not visible see this page.
Preview a Category
To preview the category that you have created, Click on Share & Preview in the sidebar menu below the billing menu entry.
Then click on Share & Preview Link. The share and preview link will be your (gonnaorder domain) + (.)(gonnaorder.com). In the screenshot you can see https:// alphaeatery.gonnaorder.com/ is your Share and Preview Link.
Update a Category
Category information can be updated at any time and as needed. For instance, if you used a name that people find hard to understand, then it would be logical to change to something that they would find more familiar.
To update a specific category, click on the name of that category and then click the Edit icon.
Change the specific fields you want to edit, and then click Save.
Delete A Category
Like with updating a category, GonnaOrder does not restrict when you can remove categories from your store. However, the category being removed must not have listed store products.
To Delete a specific category, go to the name of that Category and click on the Edit icon. See image in step 1 of the update category section above.
At the bottom right corner you will see aDelete button. Click on it and confirm deletion on the pop up that comes up.
You cannot delete a category that has items. You need to delete all items first or associate them with a different category.